Friday, August 6, 2010

Things Get Worse...Before They Get Better

One of the worse parts of any organizing project is how things will often seem messier and more out of control while you are in the midst of a project.

Earlier this week I looked around this house in disgust. I had pulled out all of my loose paperwork, every unsorted project, every loose end in my life and piled them into two rooms. I then spent the next two days tearing apart parts of the garage to see what other messes I have.

Naturally this made things much worse than they had been before I started. End of the week and I have boxes and boxes stacked in my kitchen.

It is demoralizing, really.

The thing I have to remember is that I AM actually making progress. If I can keep going, instead of giving up because of the chaos caused by the process, I will eventually dig myself out of this mess and have something resembling an organized home.

I am probably not the first person who, faced with the mess this process causes, felt like giving up. It doesn't seem worth the hassle.

It is, though, and that's the thought I'm hanging onto right now.

The thing to remember when organizing a home is why you are doing it in the first place. I have to hold onto the goal despite the obstacles and with just a few more days of work, I will have more space and a cleaner place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind in your comments.