Monday, August 30, 2010

Deeds, not Words: Difficult but Important

Over at Get Rich Slowly, there is a great post about the difference between a Doer and a Talker.

This reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from the TV show The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. Young Indy has met a suffragette he is crazy about and her motto is "Deeds, not Words!" She constantly confronts him to do what he says, not just talk to her. For instance, saying that he loves her isn't enough if his deeds don't show it.

This gets at the heart of what is my greatest challenge--to move beyond simply saying I am going to do something and actually DOING it. I'm a great planner. I have all sorts of goals and ideas. I have a list that is a page long of stuff I'm supposedly doing, but most of them have had little to no progress.

Instead, I always have some excuse. I got busy on another project. I need to finish organizing this closet. I have to work on this. I'm too tired right now. It can wait till later. I'll just check my email first (and then maybe my RSS feed.....).

Even this blog is just all words. If I don't actually DO the stuff I talk about, my life won't get any better.

It's often hard. It's also very worthwhile.

My goal is to get better at being a "Doer" and not just a "Talker." I'll be working at that today. How about you? Just do what I'm going to do. Stop reading about doing things, and go do one thing that you've been meaning to do. Make progress on some important goal.

Be a doer. We can do it!

2 comments:

  1. It's always so much easier just to say things then to actually do them. But I agree, it's very worthwhile to do the things you talk about. One of the reasons I started writing my own blog was to give me some accountability for doing the things I say. Has it worked? Probably not as well as I'd like it to, but I have noticed some improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I thought blogging about things would help me to be accountable and "thinking out loud" might help me figure things out more easily.

    It hasn't worked as well as I'd like but there's been good things about it.

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind in your comments.