Friday, June 4, 2010

Power of Language

I went to a lecture earlier this week that focused on the power of language and how to "do" Shakespeare in a way which is the most empowering to the words and, therefore, the acting of the words.

I was struck by something that has always been a big part of my life--the power of words. I used to talk to my students about the power of language, to change people's minds, to effect them, to hurt and to heal. Words matter. This is why I have always been a reader, because I'm inspired by the power of narrative. I love a good story. I get caught up in reading in a way that nothing else has ever done.

Shakespeare was an early influence on me. He is one of several authors whose use of language compels me to read and re-read his works. They are old friends, whose visage returns to me in times of trouble. I will often find bits and pieces of my favorite authors' words in my mind, comforting me and enriching my life.

Today I'm posting just a short piece, to remind you of the power of language. Words matter. We should use them carefully. This means not only caring about what we write (and how we write it) but also to think about what we speak. Words we speak or write can have a profound effect on those around us. Let's make our words count and make a positive difference.



Language is the blood of the soul into which thoughts run and out of which they grow. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth

I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions. ~James Michener

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind in your comments.