Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Days Flying By and Procrastination

I've noticed that I don't have enough time. Actually, I wonder if anyone ever feels like they have enough. The only time we complain about too much time is when we are stuck somewhere doing something boring and time seems to drag. The rest of our lives we complain about the lack of time.

I look up and it's already the middle of the week and I can't believe it.

This is partly because I really do have a lot to do and partly because that, in stressing over how much I have to do, I've been procrastinating on a number of tasks I need to do.

This is, of course, the worse thing I can do when I am lacking in time. It makes no sense to put off doing work and spend time looking at inconsequential things on the internet when you have several important deadlines coming up and you are behind on several projects.

I've done this before and I have concluded that it is a stress mechanism. I do this when I am stressed. The problem is that it tends to increase my stress in the long run. It is not a productive reaction to a lack of time.

I know I am not alone in using procrastination and general goofing off as a stress reliever during long and difficult projects with fast approaching deadlines.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to make things better?

4 comments:

  1. Sorry you are feeling stressed with deadlines approaching - I hope the events you are working towards go really well.

    I think you hit the nail when you recognise that you are actually using procrastination for a useful purpose - to relieve stress and let off steam. So, rather than trying to stop yourself procrastinating altogether, perhaps it might work for you to consciously accept that you do it - for a good reason - and allow yourself to do it, but really limit the time you devote to it.

    In connection to this, would it help to break down the tasks you need to accomplish into small steps (doing the breakdown one time only and sticking with it)? Then, go forwards by doing one or a few steps of work, then allow yourself 10-15 minutes goofing off when you feel you need it (Facebook / net surfing / short walk / dance to an 80s song :) / water the plants - whatever works for you as a stress buster), then more work.

    Also, I don't know if this is impacting your sleep, but if it is, you could try making time to switch off and create a relaxation routine at the end of the day, and leave the laptop somewhere that's not your bedroom.

    Last thing - to take a well-earned break when the events are over, a good few days or a couple of weeks to chill out and take the pressure off yourself, before you move on to the next thing.

    Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Astral Cat. Nice to hear from you again. Yes, I'm definitely procrastinating for stress relieving purposes but since it causes more stress, it isn't the best choice. I need to do it less. :)

    I'll definitely need to take a break in 2.25 weeks.

    Today, it's job interview time again. Got the call yesterday. Only the second interview since I lost my job at the end of March. Hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and Astral Cat, your comment reminded me that I used to do the 50 minutes work, 10 minute rest routine but I've not been keeping up with that. Perhaps I should try that again. Sometimes the timer works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the interview x

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind in your comments.